Australian Art and Culture Elective: Nature and the Man Made World
1) Is everything in nature beautiful? Is everything "unnatural" ugly?
2) Can the "man made world" be as beautiful as the natural world?
3) Can a factory, a car park, a highway or airport be beautiful? How?
What do you think? ...
"Most artists today don't paint the cars we travel in, factories people work in, roads, road-signs, and airports we all use. I like living in the 21st century - to me the world has never been more beautiful. I am trying to paint the real world I live in, as beautifully as I can, with my own eye"- Jeffrey Smart (2005)
Look at some of Jeffrey Smart's paintings and decide ...
Activity 1 : Listening
Download a) Fold and Write Jeffrey Smart Cloze (MSWord.doc) / b) Listening text (MP3)
Assessment 2 : Writing
Assignment 2 : A Letter About Jeffrey Smart (only available to DSCH students - you need a gmail account)
Jeffrey Smart interview (Australian Screen)
Grammar : The Third Conditional
"What wouldn't have happened to Daisy if ..."
(from the English Bubble.com)
1. "...that shoe lace had not broken?"
2. "...that man had got up five minutes earlier?"
3. "...that taxi driver had not stopped for a cup of coffee?"
We use this tense to talk about past events we cannot change ("things turned out differently!")
If you need to review how the tense is formed, watch this video and do the exercises: