ACCESS 1 and 2
Watch the video about the FUTURE TENSE (WILL vs. GOING TO)
The teacher above explains the basics but she is not telling you the full story about EXPRESSING THE FUTURE in English.
GRAMMAR : Talking About the Future - 6 Different Ways
We talked about the 'very soon future' in class (about to) that is, when we are on the point of doing something. WILL and GOING TO can also be used for talking about the future but the shade of meaning is different.
In fact there are about 6 ways of expressing the future. LEVEL 3 students click here and read/listen about the 6 ways we can talk about the future.
1. Going to +verb = Intention, prediction
2. Will and Shall = a future fact, a sudden decision, an offer, a threat, a promise, an opinion about the future, a probability especially after think, suppose, expect, doubt if
3. to be + -ing (Pres. Cont for the future) = future plans
4. Present Simple for the future = something already arranged / part of a program or timetable eg. The train leaves in half an hour.
5. Is to / Are to = express something officially arranged. eg. The party is to be held at the Community Centre
6. About to / due to = To express that something is going to happen very soon or is expected to happen soon.
JEALOUSY - A STORY ILLUSTRATING THE 6 WAYS WE TALK ABOUT THE FUTURE
LEVEL 3 STUDENTS CLICK HERE TO READ THE STORY
1. Read the story that shows the 6 ways of expressing the future.
2. How do you think the story will end? Send me an email or leave a COMMENT below
SPEAKING AND LISTENING - MYSTERY BOY
Go to Voxopop and listen to the DISCUSSION called :
MYSTERY BOY ... Telling a Tale (Click here)
If you are in Level 2 or 3 you might like to add your own version based on the activity we did in class this week.